Wednesday, November 18, 2015

On Wednesday, Lillie and Nick wirte



Today I had Music class.  I thought we were just going to sit in the back of the class and sit and listen to the class sing, or that they were going to say, “Okay, lets sing an English song, lets sing Frozen”, or something along those lines.  However, I was very wrong.  In class they weren’t even singing, they were playing the recorder, you know, those instruments they make you play in 3rd grade that you never touch again.  Only, not only do they have to play it pass the 3rd grade, they were playing a song by Bach, and they were preparing do a playing test on a song called Jupiter for next week.  In that class the teacher gave us a recorder to borrow each.  They go, “Do you know?” and we (Gabbi, Grace, and I) all say, “Yes, we know, but we can’t play.”  I’m not sure how much they understood or believed until we started trying to play.  By the end of the class I got down some of the fingerings and could play the first line of music.  After that we returned our recorders and went to have lunch. - Lillie


I gotta say, our hosts know their way around the three R’s: Reducing, Recycling, and especially Reusing. They built a contraption out of used water bottles of all things, to catch noodles! It was like a river of noodles, in which we had to ‘fish’ with our chopsticks. It was ‘oodles of fun! The gym teacher told me it’s an old Japanese tradition, and I believe it! After the noodle fest, we had so much ice cream I can still taste it! As a bit of a cultural exchange, I taught my homestay Tsuyoshi some American dance moves. Boy, that kid can pop it, lock it, and put it in his pocket. - Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment